Take your typical setting involving teenagers — say, a High School — wait an establishing scene or two or three, and there she is. See that attractive blonde cheerleader looking down her nose often literally and sneering at the frumpy girl in glasses? That’s her.
Ollie, Robin, and I finally got together to talk about one of my favorite subjects, and most hated trope, the Alpha Bitch. In the process of trying to tackle this rather massive subject, we discuss our own experiences (or lack there of) with Alpha Bitches in high school, internalized misogyny, fandom, reader snobbery, and lots of things in between.
So those are our thoughts – what are yours? Was there an alpha bitch in your high school? Do you like this trope? Hate it? Think it should die in a fire? Do you know any books that get the Alpha Bitch right?
Let us know in the comments!
Posts referenced in this podcast:
- Debra Vega – Six Things That Bug Me About Modern Young Adult Fiction
- Shardbaenre’s Everneath comment and the review that inspired it
- Lisa’s Tropes vs Women comment and the video that inspired it
Books we recommend that subvert the trope or portray good female friendships:
- If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch
- Operation Oleander by Valerie O. Patterson
- Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
- Uninvited by Amanda Marrone
- Wildthorn by Jane Eagland
- The Wrap-Up List by Steven Arntson
Theme music is Overnight, by Aya.
WARNING: NSFW! Mature audiences only! Contains salty language, subversive ideas, industry-challenging discussions, and nuts.